Some pilgrims like to walk the Camino Frances not knowing what is ahead of them. Maybe that is unwise. There are other pilgrims who plan every minute detail weeks in advance. Again, maybe this takes away from the mystery. I did a little of both when I first walked from St. Jean Pied de Port in 2014.
I had heard stories and hearsay that this would be a very difficult walk. I had pictures of pilgrims scaling mountains with ropes. Obviously, that isn’t the case. However, the first few hours is all up-hill. If you need proof of that, why don’t you flick through the start of this chap’s video. He has recorded his walk from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles from leaving the albergue in St. Jean to the arriving at the Abbey in the woods.
I can’t recall watching another video of this length and it sure may be of some help to those of you who are taking your first steps. The owner has gone on to record to rest of his Camino to Santiago. Just follow the links in YouTube. Enjoy..
- It looks like an end in sight: Exciting Times ahead!
- The Camino is Opening to Pilgrims – Weekend Watch #80
- Good news as Spain to welcome pilgrims from June!
- New Podcast – Adam from England
- Weekend Watch #79 – Irish pilgrim on the Camino Francés